Things to consider before choosing your ideal flatmatehnk_admin
Living in a new city with all unfamiliar faces around is not an easy job and takes a good amount of time in the beginning. One will have to consider a lot of factors before taking any major decision like where to stay, how to travel etc.One such decision is choosing a right flat mate who can make your stay either a sheer bliss or the worst nightmare that never ends. Besides the benefit of expenses being shared between two, sharing a flat with an unknown will surely be a super thrilling and fun experience.
It’s definitely not an easy task to find someone whose lifestyleand interests matches yours.
So, here is a list of potential pitfalls, which must be discussed in detail before moving in together –
- You surely don’t want to live with someone who is a total mess and hates cleaning. At least common areas should be kept cleaned so be upfront about how household chores will be divided especially when both of you are working.
- You may love the IDEA of having a dog or a cat but are you really prepared to live with someone who actually owns either of them? It’s good to talk about it before signing the lease.
- Is it okay with your flat mate if your friends come to party on every alternate day?
If not, be clear about the house rules and make sure that you both abide by them.
- Do they watch TV all the time? Like being alone? Never party? Vegan? Loves to smoke? Food preferences?
It’s not necessary to have the same lifestyle as your flat mate has but should be compatible with each other. Ask the applicant about his/her sleeping, cooking and cleaning habits. If you listen to loud music till late night and your flat mate can only sleep in silence then it’s definitely a red flag.
- Got some allergies? Don’t forget to share the same with the person you are thinking to stay with.
- Make sure that he/she isn’t addicted to smoking if it’s an absolute ‘NO’ for you.
- Be sure of your prospective flat mate’s financial ability if you don’t want to be a part of any money related tiff. Be clear about the portion he/she is expected to pay and estimated monthly expenses.
- Go with your gut feeling as it’s really difficult to determine if the person you just met can be trusted or not. Pick someone who you feel comfortable with because they might see the best or/and worst of you.
- Living with someone who communicates well with no hidden lies is the key to a happy flat mate relationship.
Flat mate rules –
- Respect each other
- Share stuff
- Be a good listener
- Help each other
- Make memories together
- Be yourself
Choose wisely and be honest with what you can and cannot accept in a flat mate.